Formulate is building a technology platform and a movement to fundamentally change the way personal care products are designed, manufactured & distributed. We are ushering in the "chemist-to-consumer" movement - an end to mass-produced skin, hair, and oral care products, and an eventual new purchasing paradigm in personal care.
We're looking for our first Creative Director to shape and evolve Formulate's brand, story, and identity. Formulate is redefining the personal care industry and our brand should represent our movement.
Reporting directly to the CEO, you'll define brand attributes, manage and hire designers, and partner with our marketing/content teams to ensure consistent creative representation of our brand.
What would you be doing?
- Create a brand that represents our vision - every experience should feel uniquely "Formulate" and attract customers, partners, and candidates who align with our mission.
- Conduct creative process from concept to execution.
- Be responsible for a range of design tasks - brand voice, messaging, website/app design, ad/email design, packaging design, etc.
- Work with marketing team to create compelling marketing campaigns and associated content across multiple channels and platforms.
- Define brand attributes and ensure brand consistency across the customer experience, working closely with Marketing, Design, Product, and Executive teams.
- Evangelize the Formulate brand internally, so every employee can be an ambassador.
- Lead and own initiatives that further company objectives. Effectively lobby and win support for major new initiatives, features, and experiences.
- As we scale, build an internal creative and brand agency inside of Formulate, that serves not just marketing but all teams. Manage and hire freelancers & internal team members focused on web design, illustration, video, and copy-writing.
- Champion and deliver high quality creative.
What does success look like in this role?
- You're a designer with 6+ years experience in brand or design, with 2+ years managing teams, preferably in consumer. Mix of agency and in-house experience desirable but not required. Bachelors or Master's degree in Design, Fine Arts, or related fields preferred.
- You have creative vision and the know-how to achieve it - you're the rare combination of visionary and producer.
- You are obsessive when it comes to the details, balancing both a high quality bar and speed of execution.
- You have a desire to set high-level strategy, as well as get your hands dirty in day to day brand and creative work.
- You have a wide variety of skills you have to draw from including illustration, motion/animation, branding, storytelling, photography, videography.
- You develop and maintain programs/road maps and prioritize accordingly.
- Ego-less and objective. You receive feedback well and can iterate on your designs within a team, no matter how attached to them you are.
- Ability to pitch, educate, and define your design rationale to leadership team and the wider organization. You can articulate the 'why' and lead discussions about your process, explorations, and conclusions.
- Deep understanding of how to structure and create content, landing pages, emailers, web/product design, and ads. Familiarity with common UI patterns used in web design.
- You are an expert at providing direction and managing teams focused on web design, illustration, video, and copy-writing.
What you would get from Formulate?
- The rare opportunity to lead one of the hottest tech-enabled consumer startups with offices in San Francisco and St. Louis.
- Competitive compensation
- Work from home